Undercover Operation Leads to Promoting Prostitution Arrest
Posted on February 21st, 2016
A 29-year-old man has been charged with promoting prostitution following an investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Feb. 19, a Sheriff’s Police undercover officer responded to an advertisement in the escorts section on Backpage.com. The officer was told to meet at a Schiller Park hotel room. After an agreement was made to exchange money for sex acts, the 20-year-old woman was taken into custody.
During their investigation, Sheriff’s Police Vice officers learned that Jamal Shells had rented rooms for the woman, that he knew prostitution was occurring in those rooms and that he would profit from the prostitution. Officers also learned that Shells had battered the woman earlier that day.
Vice Unit officers located Shells at a sandwich shop in the 4100 block of Mannheim Road in Schiller Park and took him into custody. Shells, of the 2700 block of W. Washington Boulevard in Chicago, has been charged with promoting prostitution and domestic battery. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]