Two Firearms Recovered in Arrest of Two in Garfield Park Neighborhood
Posted on March 5th, 2017
Cook County Sheriff’s Police recovered two loaded firearms and arrested two people after a traffic stop in the Garfield Park neighborhood, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 11:30 p.m. on March 4, a Sheriff’s Police patrol conducting street crime suppression in Garfield Park, pulled over a black Chevy TrailBlazer with an expired registration on Jackson Boulevard near Central Park Avenue. Sheriff’s Police officers were joined by Chicago Police officers. After approaching the vehicle, a Sheriff’s Police officer noticed the handle of a handgun protruding from the driver’s right coat pocket as he reached for his wallet. An initial pat down by a Sheriff’s Police officer and a CPD officer led to the recovery of a loaded .40 caliber handgun.
After the two other passengers were asked to exit the vehicle and secured, the officers conducted a search of the vehicle and found an additional loaded .25 caliber handgun in a pouch behind the front seat.
The driver of the vehicle was identified as 25-year-old Trevor Brantley. He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon (UUW). One of the passengers was identified as 24-year-old Carlton Harris, who was found to be on parole. He was charged with UUW by a felon. IDOC was subsequently notified about Harris’ detention.
The third occupant of the car was released without charges.
Brantley and Harris, who are both from Chicago, are scheduled to appear in bond court on March 5 at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]