Traffic Stop Leads to Recovery of a Weapon, Arrests
Posted on March 4th, 2016
A traffic stop in Ford Heights led to the recovery of a loaded gun and the arrest of two people, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 10:20 p.m. on March 3, Sheriff’s Police Street Crimes Suppression Unit officers stopped a silver, 2007 Chevrolet sedan on 11th Street near Lexington Circle in Ford Heights disobeying a stop sign. Officers could smell an odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. Officers asked the male driver and the male passenger to exit the vehicle. The passenger fled on foot after exiting the vehicle. Officers gave chase and apprehended him near the 1000 block of Lexington Circle.
The officers who stayed with driver and the vehicle found a loaded 9 mm handgun under the front passenger seat.
The driver of the vehicle, Rodney Montgomery, 22, of Sauk Village, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon. The passenger, who was 17, was charged as a juvenile with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and resisting/obstructing an officer.
Montgomery’s bond for this case was set at $50,000 during his appearance today at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]