Significant Disciplinary Action Announced in Cook County Sheriff’s Office Time Fraud Investigation
Posted on September 8th, 2017
COOK COUNTY, IL – An extensive, months-long investigation into time fraud by Cook County Sheriff’s deputies and supervisors has resulted in disciplinary action for 48 officers, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
The internal investigation found that courts division deputies and supervisors assigned to the weekend shift at the Cook County Criminal Court Building often arrived late to work and left the workplace for periods of time while earning full pay.
In the most egregious cases the office is seeking termination of 11 deputies and two supervisors. In total, it was found that these individuals collectively accounted for more than 85 hours of fraudulent time without loss of pay.
The Sheriff’s Office is issuing suspensions ranging from 15 to 60 days for the remaining 35 officers, which include 27 deputies and eight supervisors. The supervisors are also being disciplined for failure to supervise their subordinates.
Under Illinois law, terminations must be adjudicated by the independent Merit Board before taking effect.
Since the investigation, the Sheriff’s Office has implemented a series of reforms aimed at increasing accountability. These reforms include adjustments to and increased supervision, significant time audits and the introduction of electronic accountability measures.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]