Sheriff’s Police Investigation Leads to Charges in Sexual Assault at Assisted Living Facility
Posted on August 20th, 2017
Sunday, August 20, 2017 — A 57-year-old man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police investigation found he sexually assaulted another resident at a Robbins assisted living facility, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On June 13, 2015, a 58-year-old woman who lived at an assisted living facility, located in the 13800 block of Utica Avenue, reported she was sexually assaulted by another resident, Charles Bryant, at the facility. Bryant, according to the report, held the victim down – preventing her from crying out for help – and sexually assaulted her. After the assault, the victim ran out of the room and later notified the facility’s staff of what had occurred.
Sheriff’s Police re-opened the investigation in November 2016. Sheriff’s Police detectives learned through lab results received this year that DNA tied the offender to the victim.
Bryant, who now lives in Hazel Crest, was arrested by Sheriff’s Police detectives on Aug. 19. He has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, a class X felony, and criminal sexual assault, a class 1 felony. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Sheriff’s Police investigations into sexual assault reports in Robbins have led to charges in seven cases and cleared and closed an additional 21 cases.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]