Sheriff’s Police Arrest Man Aiming Handgun Laser at Motorists
Posted on September 6th, 2016
A man aiming a handgun laser sight at people on the roadway has been charged with aggravated assault, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Derrick Harrington, 21, of Chicago was driving early Monday, Sept. 5 when he allegedly pointed a gun at a driver and her passenger, according to the victims.
At approximately 1 a.m., while conducting a safety check at 7100 S. Indiana in Chicago, Sheriff’s Police were informed of the incident by one of the victims, who added that the suspect was in the vehicle behind them.
Sheriff’s Police learned that the handgun was under the driver’s seat in Harrington’s car, and later recovered a loaded .40 caliber Glock with an activated laser sight.
Despite the suspect refusing orders to show his hands and exit the vehicle, officers were able to extract and handcuff Harrington without incident.
The defendant, who possessed a valid Firearm Owner Identification and Concealed Carry License, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault with a handgun laser and his permits are being processed for revocation.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]