Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam
Posted on April 20th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a phone scam in which a caller claims to be a member of the Cook County Sheriff’s Office.
In this scam, the unknown offenders use a spoofing application to make it appear on Caller ID that the phone call is coming from a Sheriff’s Office number. The caller identifies as a Cook County Sheriff’s officer and tells the victim that they are being investigated for fraud by the IRS. The caller tells the victim to call an IRS agent at a particular number.
This is a scam. The Sheriff’s Office is not working with the IRS on any cases.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a phone scam victim:
- If you believe the call is suspicious, hang up.
- Do not give any personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
- If the caller claims to be from a specific agency, hang up and call that agency to determine if there is a legitimate reason to contact you. Do not use the phone number the caller gives you.
- If you receive a phone call about owing taxes, hang up and call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 if you believe you may owe taxes.
- Report any bogus IRS phone calls to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1-800-366-4484.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone who may believe they are victim of this scam, or may have information about the perpetrators, to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]