Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.
Posted on March 8th, 2019
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County residents.
In this scam, an unsolicited caller claiming to be from Apple Inc. states that there has been a security compromise to their device and/or iCloud account. The caller then directs the customer to provide their Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or additional personal information such as usernames, passwords and financial information. Phone numbers associated with this scam include: (800) 275-2273 and (703) 336-8450, additionally, the calls may come up on caller I.D. as Apple Customer Service or Apple Inc.
This is a known scam in which Apple is aware. The company has stated that Apple customer service representatives will never ask customers to provide information such as passwords or security keys via phone.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a victim of this and/or other phone scams:
• If you receive a call similar to the above scam, hang up and call Apple Customer Service: (800) 692-7753.
• Never give personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
• Be wary of any unsolicited call that asks you to take an action right away over the phone.
• The Federal Trade Commission offers additional tips for consumers, here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]