Sheriff Dart to Seek Termination of Markham Courthouse Employees, Agrees to Pre-Litigation Settlement of Sexual Assault Case
Posted on October 6th, 2017
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that he intends to seek the termination of nine staff members determined to have allowed the sexual assault of a female detainee by two male detainees at the Markham Courthouse.
On May 2, 2017, a 52-year-old female detainee reported that she was sexually assaulted by two male detainees in a holding cell at the courthouse.
Sheriff Dart immediately launched a comprehensive internal investigation into how the male detainees had access to the female detainee and continues to cooperate fully with the ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.
The two male detainees, Hamidullah Tribble, 21, and Nelon Drake, 29, have been charged with criminal sexual assault in connection with this case.
This week, the Sheriff’s Office reached, in principle, a pre-litigation settlement of all claims with the victim for $3.25 million dollars.
The Sheriff’s Office also implemented a series of reforms to ensure the protection of all detainees, including mandating deputies assigned to any area of a courthouse without fixed cameras wear body-worn cameras, assigning additional trained supervisors to the Markham Courthouse and comprehensive unannounced security audits of all court facilities.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]