Sheriff Dart Releases Additional Video in Jail Hostage Incident
Posted on August 5th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart has released additional video in which detainees took control of a jail housing unit and injured another detainee.
According to the Sheriff’s Office investigation, at approximately 4:30 p.m. July 28, Division 10 detainees Martin Alvarado and Cordarryl Stevenson took control of their housing unit, covering the floor with soapy water. They obscured the fixed cameras in the housing unit before tearing them down completely.
At approximately 7:30 p.m. on July 28, members of the jail’s Emergency Response Team entered the housing unit, took custody of Martin, 24, and Stevenson, 27. The injured detainee was transported to an area hospital for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries. A weapon was recovered.
There were no injuries to staff or to the other 15 detainees housed there. A criminal investigation is ongoing and additional criminal charges are expected against both detainees.
Sheriff Dart applauds the exceptional expertise and professionalism of his staff.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]