Sheriff Dart Announces Winners of 2015 Youth Service Medal of Honor
Posted on December 9th, 2015
313 high school students representing 55 towns will receive the Cook County Sheriff’s Youth Service Medal of Honor tonight as recognition for volunteering more than 100 hours to their community and others in the last year, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart said today.
The ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. tonight at Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills. The event will take place in Building M just off the 111th St. entrance to the campus.
In addition to the minimum of 100 service hours, applicants were required to submit essays about their experiences. Examples of service from this year’s winners include mentoring students, providing cancer support services, cleaning their city, assisting in food pantries and volunteering at their local church. The cumulative community service time among the 313 winners surpassed 45,000 hours.
This year’s distinguished youth speaker is Megan Horras. Prior to the 2014-2015 academic year, Megan was part of a summer school program in which she taught special education students. Some of the students were nonverbal, yet Megan overcame the communication barrier by teaching herself American Sign Language in order to better serve the students. Megan Horras is a resident of Orland Park and attends Carl Sandburg High School.
2015 Youth Service Medal of Honor Winners
Indian Head Park
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]