Officers Save Man From Jumping From Highway Overpass
Posted on April 6th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff’s Officers talked a man out of jumping from a highway overpass, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 10:25 p.m. on Saturday, April 2, Sheriff’s Police received a 9-1-1 call about a man on northbound IL-394 between Sauk Trail and Lincoln Highway who was despondent and feeling suicidal. The responding officers saw a man sitting on the edge of an overpass, threatening to jump.
Other responding officers shut down the highway and attempted to halt the trains from using the tracks below the overpass. However, one of the trains was too close to the location to stop it from passing.
Officer Eugene Butler, a trained hostage negotiator who also has crisis intervention training, began talking to the man. As the freight train rolled by, Officer Butler kept the man’s focus on him and their conversation. After talking for some time, Officer Butler convinced the man not to jump. The 40-year-old Park Forest man was taken by ambulance to an area hospital for observation.
The other officers who responded and assisted at the scene were Lt. Michael Goldsmith, Sgt. Matthew Gena, Sgt. Christopher Olejarz and officers Rob Waller, Kevin Walsh, Joe Phillips, Harry Vance, Christie Urso, Tommie Hall and Sam Suffern.
“I couldn’t be more proud of these officers whose compassion, patience and quick thinking helped save this man’s life,” Sheriff Dart said.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]