Merit Board Decisions
The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board, consisting of nine (9) members, was established in conformance with the provisions of Chapter 55 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (55 ILCS 5/3-7002). The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board is an independent body which exercises purely statutory powers.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board has statutory authority to conduct hearings on disciplinary matters involving Police Officers, Police Sergeants, Police Lieutenants, Correctional Officers, Correctional Sergeants, Correctional Lieutenants, Correctional Captains, Deputy Sheriffs, Deputy Sergeants and Deputy Lieutenants subsequent to their one (1) year probationary period. The Board’s jurisdiction applies when the Sheriff files written charges requesting disciplinary suspension in excess of thirty (30) days, demotion in rank or separation from service.
The Board, after hearing written charges pursuant to their authority in Chapter 55 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, may upon the finding of the charges being proven order any of the following disciplinary measures as prescribed in 55 ILCS 5/3-7012:
(1) Separation; (2) Reduction in rank; (3) Suspension for a period not to exceed a total of one hundred and eighty (180) days; (4) Or any other such sanctions prescribed by the Rules and Regulations of the Board which in the opinion of the members thereof the offense(s) may merit.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board’s Final Decisions are subject to change pursuant to the provisions of the Administrative Review Law (735 ILCS 5/3-101 et seq.). For additional information, please see the Rules and Regulations of the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board.
Decisions issued by the Board are listed below.
Warning – Graphic Images and Explicit Language
Sustained Sheriff’s Investigations Pending with Merit Board
Final Merit Board Decisions
Recent Press Releases
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]