Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons
Posted on April 11th, 2019
A 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package containing switches that convert Glock handguns to fully automatic weapons, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Sheriff’s Police investigators received information from Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) that a package with two switches addressed to a residence in Calumet City had been intercepted at a postal facility. At approximately 6:40 p.m. on April 9, Sheriff’s Police, HSI and the United States Postal Inspection Service executed a search warrant at the residence in the 400 block of Burnham Avenue after the package was delivered to that address.
During the execution of the search warrant, a man, later identified as Devante Murphy, fled from the residence with the package still in hand, jumping off a balcony. He was taken into custody after a short foot pursuit. Both switches were later located and recovered.
Murphy, of the 8900 block of South Union Avenue, was charged on April 10 with unlawful use of a weapon/machine gun- automatic weapon. His bond was set at $50,000-D during his court appearance today at the Markham Courthouse.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]