Man Charged with Possessing Dogfighting Equipment
Posted on November 17th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that a Harvey man has been charged with possessing dogfighting equipment following a Sheriff’s Police investigation.
Earlier this year, Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigators received information that 59-year-old Tyran Johnson was training dogs for the purpose of dogfighting at his home in the 14700 block of Washington Avenue in Harvey.
After further investigation, Sheriff’s Police investigators executed a search warrant for the residence on Nov. 4. Sheriff’s Police found four dogs— one had scars and appeared to be underweight, one had scars, one appeared to be underweight and one appeared to be healthy. Officers also located a modified treadmill and spring poles among other equipment associated with training dogs to fight.
The four dogs are currently being cared for at Chicago Animal Care and Control.
Johnson, who has two prior arrests for violations of animal owner’s duties for which he received conditional discharge and court supervision, was not home when the search warrant was executed. Sheriff’s Police attempted to locate him. On Nov. 15, Johnson turned himself in to Sheriff’s Police. He was charged with possession of dogfighting equipment.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]