Man Charged with Murder in Connection with Body Found in Thatcher Woods
Posted on January 6th, 2017
A 36-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a man whose body was found at the Thatcher Woods Forest Preserve, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Sheriff’s Police Detectives responded on May 30, 2016 to Thatcher Woods for a death investigation. Human remains had been found in a plastic bag. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the cause of the man’s death was a gunshot wound.
The victim was identified as Fernando Casas, 19, of Stone Park. Casas had been missing since May 19.
During their investigation, Sheriff’s Police detectives identified the shooter as Carlos Martinez-Rodriguez, who was last seen with the victim.
On Sept. 6 an arrest warrant was issued for Martinez-Rodriguez, who was found to be residing in New York City. On Jan. 5, Martinez-Rodriguez was returned to Cook County. He has been charged with first degree murder.
Martinez-Rodriguez was denied bond today during his hearing at the Maywood Courthouse. His next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 9 at the Maywood Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]