Man Charged After Loaded Gun, Drugs Found During Eviction in Burnham
Posted on March 20th, 2017
A 29-year-old man has been charged with multiple felonies after a loaded firearm and drugs were found during a court-ordered eviction in Burnham, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 8:30 a.m. on March 17, sheriff’s deputies arrived at residence in the 14100 block of South Hoxie Avenue in Burnham to enforce a court ordered eviction. Deputies entered the location after receiving no response at the door.
Deputies could smell a strong odor of marijuana upon entering the home. They found a man inside, later identified as Willie Chapman, a resident of the location, and advised him a court ordered eviction was being enforced.
During the eviction, deputies recovered a firearm and a bag of suspected marijuana and bag of what appeared to be pills that were found in plain sight in an upstairs bedroom. In a bathtub, deputies found a clear bag filled with smaller plastic bags containing suspected marijuana. In another room, on the floor was a clear plastic container of pills, suspected to be ecstasy.
The .45 caliber firearm was loaded and had a 30 round clip. Chapman did not have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card.
Chapman was taken into custody. He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon; a class 3 felony; possession of ecstasy, a class 1 felony and manufacturing/delivery of cannabis, a class 3 felony. He was also charged with not having a FOID card, a misdemeanor.
Chapman received a $25,000-D bond during his court appearance today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse. His next court date is scheduled for March 21 at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]