Man Brought Back to Cook County to Face Charges in Incident Where Victim Was Battered, Put in Cage
Posted on September 25th, 2015
A 28-year-old man who was wanted in connection with a 2014 aggravated domestic battery incident where another man was put in a dog cage and had hot wax thrown on him, has returned to Cook County to face charges, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart said today.
William Bailey, of Grand Rapids, Mich., appeared today at the Skokie Courthouse, where his total bond was set at $1 million. Bailey has been charged with aggravated battery, unlawful restraint and robbery.
Bailey previously had been held in Michigan. Members of the Cook County Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit returned Bailey to Cook County on Sept.24, after his Michigan cases were resolved.
According to the Sheriff’s Police investigation, detectives responded to an area hospital on Sept. 30, 2014 on a report of a battery. They learned that the 47-year-old victim had been battered by Bailey, his cousin, who had been staying at the victim’s unincorporated Des Plaines apartment.
Bailey punched the victim and confined him to a dog cage, according to the investigation. He threw hot wax on the victim, and the victim was burned with cigarette lighter.
The victim was able to escape and went to the home of a neighbor, who called for help. The victim was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Bailey fled the scene in the victim’s vehicle, a gray/silver 1992 Toyota Camry. He was found in the victim’s vehicle on Oct. 12, 2014 in Berrien County, Mich., by local authorities.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]