Man Arrested After Gun With a Mounted Laser Recovered
Posted on March 24th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigators arrested a man who was out on bond for a weapons charge after they recovered a stolen, loaded gun mounted with a laser, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
While conducting specialized enforcement on March 22 in Chicago’s 11th District, members of the Sheriff’s Police Street Crimes Suppression Unit observed a man drinking alcohol as he exited a vehicle at approximately 10:25 p.m. in the 3900 block of West Roosevelt Road in Chicago.
When investigators approached the man, they saw an open bottle of alcohol in plain view inside the vehicle, according to the Sheriff’s investigation. Officers took the man, identified as Adrian Mason, into custody. Investigators found a loaded Glock with a laser mount in a backpack. The backpack, which was found in the vehicle, also contained papers with Mason’s name. Investigators learned that the weapon had been reported stolen from Jackson, Mississippi.
They also learned that Mason, 37, was out on bond on an unlawful use of a weapon charge and that he had a previous felony conviction for delivery of a controlled substance.
Mason, of the 3800 block of W. Huron in Chicago, has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, possession of a weapon without a Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card and possession of firearm ammunition without a FOID. His bond in this case was set at $100,000 during his March 23 court appearance at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building. He also was ordered held without bond for a violation of bail bond.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]