Jail Inmate Charged with Aggravated Battery to Staff
Posted on January 6th, 2017
An inmate has been charged with aggravated battery to a peace officer after injuring a correctional deputy earlier this week, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
A Sheriff’s Office investigation revealed that on Jan. 2 when the correctional deputy approached Jamara Rhone, 40, to open his cell for lock-up in Division 10, the inmate suddenly slammed the deputies’ head against the steel door, striking the victim skull near his left ear.
While the deputy attempted to walk away, surveillance footage shows how the alleged aggressor followed and continued to strike him.
Inmates attempted to restrain the attacker as the back-up correctional deputy sought assistance.
Rhone, who is in jail custody on a retail theft charge, was taken into custody by responding correctional deputies.
The injured correctional deputy went to an area hospital for treatment.
Rhone has been charged with one count of aggravated battery to a peace officer. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]