IDOC Parolee Charged with UUW after Sheriff’s Police Recover Stolen Gun
Posted on January 14th, 2018
A man paroled less than two months ago following weapon and drug convictions has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after he was found with a stolen gun in Chicago’s 6th District, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:35 p.m. on Jan. 13, Sheriff’s Police officers working targeted enforcement in Chicago’s 6th district stopped a gray Chrysler 200 near 74th and Halsted for a vehicle code violation. After making contact with the driver they could smell a strong odor of raw cannabis coming from inside the vehicle and saw a leafy green residue by the foot of the front seat passenger.
Officers had the driver and passenger step out of the car. While searching the vehicle, officers found a loaded, .380 caliber Cobra FS380 near the front passenger seat, where 24-year-old Darien Word was sitting. Officers also recovered cannabis, a digital scale and plastic bags.
Officers learned that Word, of the 7200 block of South Bell Avenue in Chicago, was paroled in November following drugs and weapons convictions. Officers also learned the weapon recovered had been reported stolen from DeKalb County.
Word was taken into custody and charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon by a felon. He was also charged with manufacturing delivery of cannabis — 30 to 500 grams, possession of cannabis –100 to 500 grams, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The driver, 22-year-old Mercedes Robinson, was charged with manufacturing/delivery of cannabis — 30 to 500 grams, possession of cannabis –100 to 500 grams and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]