Hillside Man Charged with UUW After Being Found with Gun in Melrose Park
Posted on November 5th, 2017
A 23-year-old man has been charged with a felony after Cook County Sheriff’s Police officers found him with a stolen pistol in unincorporated Melrose Park, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 2:45 p.m. on Nov. 3, Sheriff’s officers responding to another complaint in the 2300 block of North Mannheim Road, learned that Jovantae Withers was in the area and carrying a gun. Withers was subsequently located nearby and found with a loaded 9mm pistol in his waistband. The gun had a full 14-round clip.
Further investigation found that Withers, a Hillside resident, has a previous felony conviction and does not have a Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card or Concealed Carry permit.
Withers was taken into custody and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, a class 2 felony.
During a bond court appearance on Saturday, Withers received an I-bond and was released on his own recognizance.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]