Fugitive Apprehended in Mexico Returns to Cook County to Face Charges
Posted on February 11th, 2016
An investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit, the Wheeling Police Department and the FBI led to apprehension of a man in Mexico who is wanted in a Wheeling home invasion case, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Steve Chung, 28, was one of two people charged in a 2014 home invasion that occurred in Wheeling. The victim was held at gunpoint and beaten. An arrest warrant was issued in June 2015 for Chung, whose last known address was in Des Plaines, after he stopped coming to court.
Working with Wheeling Police, the Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit learned last month that Chung was in Guadalajara, Mexico. He had been living in Mexico since June 2015, teaching English online. The Central Warrant Unit contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation Violent Crime Task Force for assistance in locating him.
On Wednesday, Mexican Immigration officials and the FBI located Chung in Guadalajara and arrested him. Mexican immigration officials escorted Chung on his flight this morning to Chicago. Central Warrant Unit officers and FBI agents took Chung into custody after he landed at Midway Airport.
Chung is scheduled to appear for hearing on Friday at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the Government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]