Ford Heights Man Charged with Attempted Murder of a Police Officer
Posted on August 14th, 2017
COOK COUNTY, IL – A 22-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after an investigation found he shot at a Cook County Sheriff’s Police officer, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 1:05 p.m. on Aug. 13, a man, later identified as Deandre Barnes, fired multiple rounds at a Sheriff’s Police officer near the entrance of a residence in the 1400 block of Diplomat Lane in Ford Heights. The officer was responding to a domestic disturbance call at that location.
The officer did not return fire and was not injured. He was transported to an area hospital for a medical evaluation.
Barnes, who lived at the location, surrendered to police after officers made multiple commands for him to come out of the residence. Sheriff’s Police took him into custody without further incident. A handgun was recovered at the scene.
Barnes is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]