Florida Man Arrested After Drugs Found in Sock, Boots
Posted on March 3rd, 2016
A traffic stop in unincorporated Franklin Park led to the discovery of suspected heroin in a sock and boots and the arrest of a Florida man, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 11:25 p.m. on Feb. 27, Sheriff’s Police Street Crimes Suppression Unit officers stopped a red 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse in the 2400 block of Mannheim Road for failure to signal when turning.
The officers learned that the driver of the vehicle, 26-year-old William Fajardo of West Palm Beach, Fla., had suspected heroin and drug paraphernalia in the vehicle. Fajardo was taken into custody and the vehicle was towed to Sheriff’s Police headquarters for further investigation. A Des Plaines Police Department K-9 officer was called to assist.
During the K-9 search of the vehicle, there was a hit for drugs in the area of the vehicle’s passenger side vent. Officers located a black sock in the vent that had a clear plastic bag containing suspected heroin.
During their investigation, officers learned that the Fajardo had driven to Chicago from New York and that there were more drugs in a pair of tan boots at a motel room, where Fajardo was staying with a friend. The friend, who rented the room, located in the 2500 block of Mannheim Road, consented to a search. Officers located the boots, which the friend inadvertently was wearing. Officers found that the boots had custom made insoles, which contained more than 900 grams of suspected heroin.
According to the investigation, Fajardo was to deliver the drugs to an unknown man. The investigation also found that Fajardo’s friend was not involved.
Fajardo was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance – more than 900 grams of heroin, a Class 1 felony, and manufacture or deliver more than 900 grams of heroin, a Class X felony. His bond was set at $30,000 on Feb. 29 at the Maywood Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]