Elgin Man Wanted in Criminal Sexual Assault Case Charged
Posted on October 22nd, 2016
A 40-year-old Elgin man wanted in connection with a sexual assault has been arrested and charged, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On the morning of Aug. 12, 2016, Sheriff’s Police responded to a 9-1-1 call in the 3100 W block of Rohrssen Road in Hanover Park Township from residents who had been woken up by a woman who knocked their door and asked them to call police.
Sheriff’s Police learned that the 33-year-old woman accepted a ride home from a Hoffman Estates bar from two men she had met earlier that evening. While in the crew cab Ford truck, she fell asleep. She awoke to one of the men sexually assaulting her, according to the investigation.
She fought off her attacker. When she attempted to call 9-1-1, the offender threw her cell phone out the vehicle’s window. She was forced out of the vehicle shortly after that.
The victim was transported to St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates where she was treated for minor injuries and where a criminal sexual assault kit was performed.
During the investigation, Sheriff’s Police detectives identified the offender as Fernando Godinez-Monjaras of Elgin. Detectives could not locate him and on Sept. 8, a $20,000 arrest warrant was issued.
On Oct. 12, Godinez-Monjaras turned himself in to the Chicago Police Department. He was released after posting 10 percent of the $20,000 bond, following his court appearance on Oct. 13.
Sheriff’s Police processed him on the criminal sexual assault charge on Oct. 17, after his second court appearance at the Rolling Meadows Courthouse.
Godinez-Monjaras remains out on bond. His next court date is scheduled for Nov. 3 at the Rolling Meadows Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]