Cook County Sheriff’s Police Announce Presence in Chicago’s Far South Side 9th Ward
Posted on June 22nd, 2017
Chicago’s 9th Ward and 5th Police District, which include the far south side neighborhoods of Roseland and Pullman, will receive extended patrols and crime suppression activities to enhance public safety and continue to reduce crime significantly, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart and 9th Ward Alderman Anthony Beale announced today.
Approximately 55 to 60 Sheriff’s police and staff will supplement the work and efforts of the Chicago Police Department and other law enforcement agencies in Roseland, and in Pullman where violent crime has declined 50% since 2010 (Chicago Tribune).
The collaborative effort is a result of Sheriff Dart and Alderman Beale agreeing to fold the 9th Ward into the Sheriff’s Chicago Initiatives, which have helped with patrolling, preventing crime and assisting in criminal investigations in Chicago for the past three years. The services being extended to the 9th ward include:
- Patrol units
- Crime suppression tactical teams
- Special operations
- Community policing activities
- Fugitive warrants
- Electronic Monitoring
- Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program (SWAP)
Ultimately, the initiatives seek to deter criminal activity, protect lives, and apprehend violators while enforcing laws to suppress drug activity, theft, burglaries and gang-related crimes.
“While crime in our community has declined substantially, I believe we can do more to create a safer, healthier environment for our residents and visitors. That’s why I encouraged the law enforcement partnership between the Chicago Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office. Improving my ward’s quality of life is my number one priority,” said Ald. Beale.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]