Arrests Made in Harvey Forest Preserve Murder
Posted on December 23rd, 2015
A Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigation has led to the arrest of two men in the murder of a man found shot to death on the western edge of the Kickapoo Meadows, a Cook County Forest Preserve near Harvey, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 2 p.m. on Dec. 5, Cook County Sheriff’s Police were notified that a man had been found in the Cook County Forest Preserve near the 14100 block of Thornton Road. The man, later identified as 30-year-old Jose Luis Garcia-Cibrian, of Harvey, had been shot multiple times.
Using a series of interviews, video surveillance and other information gathered during the investigation, Sheriff’s Police Detectives identified Vicente Mendoza-Godinez, of Harvey, and Andrew Boone, also of Harvey, as the offenders. Detectives also learned that Garcia-Cibrian had been robbed of his money and cell phone prior to his death.
On Dec. 17, 20-year-old Mendoza-Godinez was arrested by Harvey Police Department and was turned over to Sheriff’s Police Detectives. Mendoza-Godinez was charged with first degree murder. He is currently being held without bond at Cook County Jail.
On Dec. 20, 24-year-old Boone was taken into custody by Sheriff’s Police. He was charged with first degree murder and is scheduled to appear today for a bond hearing at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution, Armed Habitual Criminal Following Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit InvestigationA 31-year-old Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution and armed habitual criminal [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]